If you're like most people, you probably think that digital marketing is some kind of dark art. Something that only the most tech-savvy among us can understand.
Digital marketing is actually pretty simple, and it's not nearly as difficult as you might think. In fact, once you get the hang of it, it can be downright fun.
So what are you waiting for? Get started today and see how easy digital marketing can be!
Digital marketing is the use of the internet, digital devices like phones, computers, and tablets, and other digital platforms like social media to connect with current and potential customers.
A few key elements of digital marketing include:
- SEO: Search Engine Optimization is the process of making sure your website appears as the top result for relevant keywords when people search on Google or other search engines.
- Paid advertising: Paid ads are a great way to get your brand in front of more people quickly. You can pay to have your ad appear as a sponsored result at the top of a search engine results page (SERP), or you can run ads on social media platforms like Facebook, Instagram, and Snapchat.
- Content marketing: Content marketing is all about creating valuable, relevant content that will attract your target audience. This can include blog posts, eBooks, infographics, videos, and more.
- Email marketing: Email marketing involves sending out targeted emails to potential and current customers with the goal of getting them to take some kind of action, such as making a purchase or signing up for a newsletter.
- Social media marketing: Social media marketing is the process of using social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram to build relationships with potential and current customers and promote your brand.
The digital marketing process is the process of creating a plan to market to your target audience using digital channels. The process can be broken down into four steps:
- Research: You need to understand your target audience and what they want. This step involves research into your industry, your customer base, and your competitors.
- Planning: Once you have a good understanding of your target audience and what they want, you can start planning your digital marketing strategy. This step involves deciding which channels you will use to reach your target audience, what kind of content you will create, and what kind of campaigns you will run.
- Implementation: This is the step where you actually put your plan into action and start executing your digital marketing strategy. This includes creating content, launching campaigns, and tracking results.
- Analysis: In this final step, you analyze the results of your digital marketing efforts and make changes to improve future performance. This step is ongoing as you continue to fine-tune your strategy over time.
The benefits of digital marketing:
Digital marketing is defined by the use of numerous digital tactics and channels to connect with customers where they spend much of their time online. From the website itself to a business's online branding assets - digital advertising, email marketing, online brochures, and beyond - there's a spectrum of tactics that fall under the umbrella of "digital marketing."
The best digital marketers have a clear picture of how each asset or tactic supports their overarching goals. And depending on the goals of their marketing strategy, marketers can support a larger campaign through the free and paid channels at their disposal.
A survey conducted by HubSpot found that 65% of respondents said inbound marketing generates more leads than any other type of marketing. One way to measure inbound marketing is through lead conversion rate. Inbound alone has helped companies close more deals, recruit more employees, and save on costs.
Content marketing is one piece of the puzzle when it comes to inbound. By creating blog posts, ebooks, guides, white papers and other forms of content that answer questions your buyers have, you attract attention from search engines and generate leads from your website.
SEO should be a mainstay for any marketer looking to generate leads from their website in 2020 - it helps make sure your site appears as a top result when someone searches for products or services related to your business on a search engine like Google or Bing. Paid advertising also plays a role in generating leads from your website - think PPC ads that appear at the top or bottom of search engine result pages when people are looking for what you offer - as well as social media ads that target specific audiences on platforms like Facebook or LinkedIn.
The most important part of digital marketing is understanding what works best for your business and building out a plan that aligns with your overall goals.
The challenges of digital marketing can be daunting, but if you put in the time and effort, you will see results. Here are some tips to help you get started:
- Define your goals. What do you want to achieve with your digital marketing campaign? Do you want to increase brand awareness, drive traffic to your website, or generate leads? Once you know what you want to achieve, you can create a plan to help you reach your goals.
- Choose the right channels. There are a lot of different digital marketing channels available, and it can be overwhelming trying to figure out which ones to use. To make things easier, start by choosing two or three that you think will be most effective for reaching your target audience. For example, if you're trying to reach teenagers, social media would be a good choice. If you're trying to reach businesses, LinkedIn would be a better option.
- Create content that is relevant and engaging. The content you create should be relevant to your target audience and engaging enough to get them interested. If you're not sure what kind of content to create, consider doing some market research or using an online content creation tool like HubSpot's Content Strategy Framework.
- Promote your content. Once you've created great content, it's time to promote it! There are a number of ways to promote your content, such as social media, email marketing, and paid advertising.
- Measure your results. One of the best things about digital marketing is that it allows you to track your results so that you can see what's working and what's not. Use Google Analytics or another similar tool to track website traffic, leads, and conversions from your campaign so that you can make adjustments as needed.
The future of digital marketing:
- Digital marketing is evolving at a rapid pace. It seems like every day there’s a new tool or platform to learn, and it can be difficult to keep up. But despite the constantly changing landscape, certain fundamentals remain the same. Here are five essential tips for staying ahead of the curve in digital marketing:
- Understand your audience. The first step to effective digital marketing is understanding who your target audience is and what they want. Once you know this, you can create content and messages that appeal to them.
- Keep it simple. In the age of information overload, it’s more important than ever to keep your messaging clear and concise. Whether it’s an email, a blog post, or a social media update, make sure your message is easy to understand and free of jargon.
- Be engaging. People are more likely to pay attention to something that captures their interest. Whether it’s an interesting article, a funny video, or an interactive quiz, make sure your content is engaging and will hold people’s attention.
- Use visuals. People are more likely to remember something if it’s accompanied by a visual element. So when creating content, whether it’s a blog post or a social media update, include images, infographics, or videos whenever possible.
- Stay up-to-date on trends. As we mentioned before, the digital landscape is constantly changing. To stay ahead of the curve, make sure you’re keeping up with the latest trends in digital marketing. This might mean following industry thought leaders on social media or reading articles on the latest developments in SEO and PPC advertising.
The skills needed for digital marketing:
Digital marketing is one of the most popular and in-demand skills in the business world today. Many people think that it is a difficultskill to master, but the truth is, it's not as difficult as you think. With the right tools and resources, anyone can learn digital marketing and make a successful career in this field.
Here are some of the skills needed for digital marketing:
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO): SEO is all about optimizing website content for search engines. The goal is to rank high in search engine results pages (SERPs) for relevant keywords or phrases.
- Content Marketing: Content marketing is all about creating and sharing valuable content that attracts, engages, and converts prospects into customers. This could include blog posts, ebooks, infographics, webinars, etc.
- Social Media Marketing: Social media marketing involves managing and growing social media accounts (such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram) to build relationships and interact with potential and current customers.
- Pay-Per-Click Advertising (PPC): PPC is a type of online advertising that allows businesses to pay for ads that appear on search engine results pages (SERPs).
The best digital marketing tools
When you’re first starting out in digital marketing, it can feel overwhelming. There are so many channels to choose from, and it seems like there are new tools popping up every day.
But don’t worry — it’s not as difficult as it seems. In this post, we’ll give you an overview of the best digital marketing tools and how to use them.
The best digital marketing tools:
The methods you use to market your business online will depend on your budget, your skills, and your goals. But there are some basics that every small business should be using:
- A website: Every business needs a website. It’s the foundation for all of your other marketing efforts. Your website should be easy to use, up to date, andoptimized for search engine ranking.
- Search engine optimization (SEO): SEO is the process of making sure your website comes up first in search results when people are looking for products or services like yours. It can be complicated, but there are plenty of resources to help you get started, including our complete guide to SEO for small businesses.
- Social media: Social media is a great way to connect with customers and build relationships with potential customers. Make sure you’re active on the platforms where your target customers are spending their time—you can start with just one or two social media channels, and expand from there as your resources allow.
- Email marketing: Email marketing is a great way to stay in touch with your customers and keep them updated on what’s happening with your business. Start by building a list of email subscribers, and then send them regular updates with information about your products or services, as well as special offers and discounts.
- Google AdWords: Google AdWords is a pay-per-click advertising platform that allows you to place ads on Google search results pages and other websites within the Google Display Network. AdWords can be complex—but if you take the time to learn how it works, it can be a powerful tool for driving traffic to your website and generating leads for your business
The most effective digital marketing strategies
With the right mix of strategies, you can reach your target audience and achieve your marketing goals. Here are some of the most effective digital marketing strategies:
SEO: Search engine optimization (SEO) lets you to reach potential customers who are searching for products or services like yours. By optimizing your website and content for search engines, you can improve your visibility in search results and attract more organic traffic.
PPC: Pay-per-click (PPC) advertising is a form of paid advertising that allows you to place ads on search engines and other websites. When someone clicks on your ad, you pay the agreed-upon amount. PPC can be an effective way to drive traffic to your website and generate leads.
Content marketing: Content marketing is a strategy that involves creating and sharing valuable content to attract and retain customers. By providing informative blog posts, helpful ebooks, and engaging social media posts, you can build trust with potential customers and establish yourself as an authority in your industry.
Social media marketing: Social media marketing helps you reach potential customers where they spend time online on social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. Through social media, you can connect with potential customers, share relevant content, and build relationships that lead to sales.
Try one of our digital marketing tool here